I was so excited to hear the Lay’s would be hosting another Do Us A Flavour Contest I just had to write them right away and ask to be a part of it. Last time I was away and when I got home all the chip flavours were just about gone and I missed out on all the fun.
Thankfully the Lay’s team said welcome aboard so I have the deets for my foodie friends. If I had to guess, I would say they are looking for Chinese food flavours this time considering the ultra-cool media package they sent me!
Canadians can submit their flavour ideas to www.Lays.ca/Flavour until April 23 for a chance to win $50,000 plus one per cent of future sales of the winning flavour (after the voting period). Last year was the first time the Lay’s Do Us a Flavour contest was held in Canada. It was a huge success with more than 600,000 flavour ideas submitted coast to coast.
Canadians will now be able to choose from three potato chip styles for their flavour ideas: Lay’s Original, Lay’s Kettle Cooked and/or Lay’s Wavy for a chance to win $50,000 CDN plus one per cent of their flavour’s future sales (after the voting period).
Globally, the Do Us a Flavour campaign has resulted in a wide spectrum of chip flavour ideas including:
• Mastana Mango (India)
• Walkie Talkie Chicken (South Africa)
• Caesar Salad and Late Night Kabob (Australia)
• Chilli & Chocolate and Cajun Squirrel (UK)
• Cheesy Garlic Bread (U.S.)
- At least 1 in 5 (21 per cent) Canadians has had an idea for a potato chip flavour of their own, and of those, 52 per cent say their inspiration was their favourite food.
- 46 per cent of Canadians reported they can think of a favourite food or dish that they or their family eat, that would make a tasty chip.
- Of a list of favourite international dishes, respondents reported that Italian pizza (21 per cent), Chinese sweet and sour chicken (17 per cent), Mexican guacamole (15 per cent) and Indian chicken curry (11 per cent) were most likely to taste great as a potato chip.
- Of the listed take-out foods from other countries, half (50 per cent) of all Canadians surveyed said they order Chinese food most often and one-quarter (26 per cent) say they most often order Italian.
As part of this year’s competition, television personality James Cunningham teams up with the Lay’s brand and the Do Us a Flavour contest for the first time.
Suzie Note: I have the opportunity to send James your questions so please comment or email me!
In April, the submissions will be narrowed down to four finalist flavours by a panel of qualified judges and will then be made available in stores nationwide beginning on or around August 10. Once they hit shelves, Lay’s fans across the country will be able to purchase and try all four finalist flavours and vote for their favourite until October 15, 2014.
The Grand Prize
While all four finalists will have the chance to see their flavours come alive on the shelf, only the grand prize winner will take home $50,000 plus one per cent of their flavour’s future sales (after the voting period). The grand prize winner is set to be announced in November 2014.
I can not wait to check out all the contenders this year! Like I said, I have a feeling they want a Chinese-food-flavoured chip but who knows?! Let your foodie imagination run wild and enter to win! Maybe I will be reviewing YOUR flavoured chip on my blog this fall? Wouldn’t that be the coolest?!
janet p says
3 cheese jalapeno was my entry … Mozza, cream cheese and cheddar with a bit of a kick.
Ask James what the weirdest combo they ever had was … or the most nauseating. Maybe cajun squirrel????
Suzie Ridler says
Oh that’s an awesome one Janet! Yum!
OK, you got it, I’ll ask him. Great question!!!