During our hunt for zombies before our staycation we bumped into the Beep Zombie. I said no to his offer of free Beep but it got me thinking about the product in general. Where on earth do you get this limited-time Maritime classic drink?
Reg has talked about Beep since I met him. A total east coast retro beverage with goodness knows what in it… I had to find it! And Emily and Alissa totally made that possible.
We had a good feeling it might be at a Sobeys and sure enough, it was there for $2.29 a carton.
I picked up one container and Alissa got two. She loved having it as a kid. I was so exciting we found some and that I was going to have a brand new retro-beverage experience.
So what is Beep? It is mostly water and sugar but you will find concentrated fruit juice like orange, apple, apricot, prune and pineapple. But you also find canola oil, modified corn starch and caramel colour.
I love that the label says: “Contains over 25% real fruit juices.” Um… What about the other 75%?!
Health issues aside, how did it taste? Quite yummy actually. I thought it would taste fake like Tang but actually it was very juicy indeed. Just very, very sweet. Way too sweet for me. I did use it in a mango orange smoothie last night though and it rocked.
I am so glad that I have now finally had the Beep experience. I probably will not buy it again because it is only 1/4 real juice but I now can officially say I have had the Beeb beverage experience.
We finished the day by visiting the famous Two If By Sea Cafe in Dartmouth. I have been wanting to check this place out forever!
Lots of natural light, wooden table and chairs, fresh air… I loved it right away. Their location in downtown Halifax is just a place to pick up coffee and a treat so it was great to get to visit their sit-down cafe in Dartmouth.
My only issue is that with all the windows open, there were a lot of wasps where you get your sweeteners so those with bee sting allergies, beware! I am personally terrified of bees so this was a tad challenging for me.
Emily treated us to herbal iced tea and a giant cookie that we shared.
And when I say giant, I mean it! We barely got through one of these babies. It was pretty good. I prefer my cookies moister and less crumbly. I wish I had time to photograph the herbal iced tea but the guys called us saying they were done early and we were off to go pick them up.
I loved the iced tea so much I made my own version when I got home. I used cranberry herbal tea bags, put them in a pitcher of water and let it slow brew overnight in the fridge. Then I added a little sugar syrup and wow, it was amazing too. Reg said that it tasted like a healing elixir fairies would bring to you if you were lost in the woods.
My only disappointment with our visit is I would have loved to have tried Two If By Sea‘s famous giant croissants! I have not have a good croissant in years. They were all out. Another reason to go back and hang out in their cafe with friends. Which is just fine by me.
Ha ha, that comment is SO Reg.
Debra She Who Seeks says
Hey, we used to drink Beep all the time when we were kids in Manitoba too (talking 40-45 years ago). I haven’t seen it in the stores anywhere for years though. We drank Tang too. They don’t make that anymore either, do they? RIP, old beverages.
Suzie Ridler says
Isn’t it Gareth? That’s why I just had to share it. Love his perspective!
Debra, I heard the same thing, that beep for some reason was also available in Manitoba all those years ago. Didn’t see it in Quebec or Ontario when I was growing up. Tang always takes me back to our trips to Florida. I’m not sure if that is around anymore, good question!