I was excited to get the opportunity to continue the discussion about McDonald’s new Veggie Signature McWrap™ directly with the Anne Parks, director of their menu innovation. I had some questions these new wraps and was very curious to hear her answers.
Q) I saw a poster today for the Veggie Wraps and it said, “Yeah, we went there!” What inspired McDonald’s to finally go there?
- A) Our customers were looking for more veggie options. We knew that the time was right with the launch of the veggie Signature McWrap™.
Q) Most vegetarian dishes do not contain a lot of protein. How did you work protein into the new veggie Signature McWrap™?
- A) We use a variety of ingredients like the whole wheat tortilla (6g), cheese and the roasted black bean and corn blend.
Q) How have your customers received the new McWrap line of products? The new Signature McWrap™ veggie options have been very well received. Are they selling well? What about the smoothies?
- A) They are selling well. Our customers love our real fruit smoothies; they’re a great beverage year-round.
Q) What is the addictive substance you put into the Iced Frappés that have me hooked? I hope they are doing well too.
- A) I’m glad you like them! They’re delicious! The key is the perfect balance of flavours (i.e. coffee or vanilla chai) blended with ice which makes them consistently smooth and sweet each time.
Q) How did your personal farm do this summer Anne? And I have to ask, do you grow pumpkins? Have you tried starting them in the house? I tried and failed at it miserably.
- A) It did pretty well, however the peppers were not very good this year.
- Yes, we grow pumpkins. This year they are doing well, a mid-size variety. The trick, I think, is to water well and to let the vines grow long. If you see any beetles on them pick them so they do not eat the leaves. We did grow the Atlantic Giant pumpkins for a few years, which are huge; however, they were at times difficult to move.